Six people have been stabbed in an attack on Tremont Street in Boston’s Theater District early Sunday, local media said. Police told media one suspect is still at large, while they may have apprehended a second one.One victim was critically injured and is in emergency surgery, according to the Boston Globe.
BREAKING: Crime scene on Tremont Street in the Theater District. More: https://t.co/RZZuowtVhupic.twitter.com/OZFnc8lVsu
— The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) September 25, 2016Two suspects are reportedly at large, according to a notification sent to students at Emerson College. Students were urged to report any “suspicious activity.”
Police, however, told media they have one suspect in custody - the person was reportedly among those injured and “survived some wounds.” But they are still looking for the other one.
Boston Police Superintendent Bernard O’Rourke said the suspect fled in the direction of Charles Street South.
Slashing/stabbing X6 victims at least Tremont St Theatre District. BPD invest. #wcvb#bostonpic.twitter.com/aAmTc5ANwg
— Stanley Forman (@sjforman138) September 25, 2016The attack took place at about 2am, with police arriving at the scene 15 minutes later. The area is home to a number of bars and clubs which close at 2am.
Police report some of the victims suffered knife wounds, while others appear to have been stabbed with bottles.
MORE: Attack on Tremont St in Boston’s Theater District, at least 6 stabbed, 1 victim critically injured - reports https://t.co/IAgGcsZewdpic.twitter.com/YbMj7aHzni
— RT America (@RT_America) September 25, 2016READ MORE: Police arrest, identify shooter who killed 5 at mall in Washington State
The stabbing is the latest in a series of violent attacks to hit the US over the past few days. Earlier on Sunday, as many as nine people were shot in the Champaign campus at the University of Illinois.
In Baltimore on Saturday, at least eight people were shot, including a three year-old. Police believe three shooters were involved in the attack.
Shootings and stabbings:
6 stabbed in #Boston
9 shot in #UIUC
8 shot in #Baltimore
5 shot in #Washington
In just the past 24 hrs.
— patrick (@NewsAndStocks) September 25, 2016On Friday, Arcan Cetin fatally shot five people in a Burlington, Washington, mall with a rifle. He was arrested on Saturday.
Meanwhile in Charlotte, demonstrators have protested for days over the fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday.
6 stabbed near Emerson College campus in Boston, police looking ...
Six people have been stabbed in an attack on Tremont Street in Boston's Theater District early Sunday, local media said. Police told media one ...
2 injured in Budapest explosion, police evacuating central area
A powerful blast struck a central area of the Hungarian capital Budapest late Saturday. Footage on social media shows a large police presence ...
A 20-year-old Turkish immigrant was arrested Saturday in the murders of five people in a Washington state shopping mall, authorities said.
Multiple tips and video footage of the suspect’s vehicle outside the mall led police to Arcan Cetin, who was was arrested near his home in Oak Harbor, Wash., 28 miles southwest of the crime scene.
More at NY Post
Hours before Omar Mateen was killed in a shootout with police, he complained about U.S. strikes on ISIS.
The gunman who slaughtered 49 people in an Orlando, Florida, nightclub told a police negotiator the attack was a protest against U.S. bombings of Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria.
”You have to tell the U.S. government to stop bombing. They are killing too many children. They are killing too many women, okay,” gunman Omar Mateen told a police negotiator by phone during the June attack, hours before the killer died in a shootout with police.
Orlando officials on Friday released transcripts of three phone conversations between the shooter and a police negotiator. During the second call, Mateen, a 29-year-old American citizen, said his assault on the nightclub was “triggered” by a U.S. bombing that killed a top ISIS commander in Iraq weeks earlier.
“Yo, the airstrike that killed Abu Wahib a few weeks ago,” Mateen said, referring to a strike that the Pentagon said had killed the senior Islamic State leader and three militants. “That’s what triggered it, okay?”
Law-enforcement officials release photo of suspected shooter who remains at large
Five people were killed after a young man with a rifle opened fire at a Macy’s department store in Washington state Friday night.
The shooting at the crowded Cascade Mall, about 65 miles north of Seattle, sent shoppers pouring out into the parking lot and sparked a massive manhunt.
Hours later, the police were still searching for the suspected shooter, described as a Hispanic man, and wearing gray.
In the early chaos, police at first said there were four dead, then revised that number to three dead and two injured.
But late Friday night, after a search of the 434,000 square-foot mall, they revised the number again: four women had been killed, they said. One man, in his 60s, later died after being flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
Law-enforcement officials released a photo of the suspected shooter and urged residents to be on the lookout for him, warning he was armed.
Law-enforcement officials told nearby neighbors to lock their doors, and blocked off roads.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation was sending agents to assist local law enforcement, a spokeswoman for the FBI said Friday night.
“At this time, we do not have information to suggest additional attacks planned in Washington,” said the FBI Seattle division spokeswoman, Ayn Dietrich-Williams.
“Our hearts are in Burlington where a shooter has taken the lives of at least four people,” said Washington Gov. Jay Inslee. “Many questions remain but our state patrol and local law enforcement are on the scene working swiftly to locate the shooter and clear the area.”
www.wsj.com/articles/three-dead-in-shooting-at-mall-north-of-seattle-1474689525More at Wall Street Journal
A CELLPHONE MAKES a convenient detonator for an improvised explosive device. But it’s also one of the most conveniently trackable devices under the eye of American law enforcement.
Less than 48 hours after a bomb exploded in a dumpster on a streetcorner in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York—and another device a few blocks away failed to explode—police have tracked the attack to New Jersey resident Ahmad Khan Rahami. At least one crucial link that investigators seem to have made came from the cellphone planted in one of the bombs. The incident is a reminder of just how difficult it is to anonymously use a cellphone in America—whether to sell drugs, make an untraceable call to a journalist, or explode a deadly weapon in downtown Manhattan.
“Buying a burner phone correctly isn’t easy,” says Nicholas Weaver, a security- and privacy-focused computer science researcher at Berkeley University, referring to the pre-paid phones often used by criminals and terrorists. “Using a burner phone correctly isn’t easy.” For the operator of a remote explosive device, he adds, that means “a cellphone-type detonator is a good robust mechanism….As long as you don’t mind a high probability of getting caught.”
According to multiple reports, at least one unexploded bomb—constructed from a pressure cooker and placed in a Chelsea trash can—contained a cellphone that law enforcement was able to recover. And that device, in addition to fingerprints and likely other clues, enabled police to find connections to Rahami’s family and then to Rahami himself.
The connection to Rahami’s family suggests that a phone call meant to trigger the detonator cellphone may have been made from a phone that also—rather foolishly—called or received calls from Rahami’s contacts. A simple, urgent request from the New York Police Department or the FBI to the phone’s carrier, with or even without a court order if the telco is sympathetic, would be enough to provide the metadata necessary to identify a suspect.
But even if the bomb had exploded and Rahami had been careful to use new burner phones on both ends of the detonation call, cops with access to carrier records would likely still have plenty of tools to track down the source of the trigger call, American Civil Liberties Union technologist Chris Soghoian wrote on Twitter.
NSA has a long history of using cellular metadata to hunt down those who plant IEDs. The FBI likely leveraging similar methods.
— Christopher Soghoian (@csoghoian) September 19, 2016
In the wake of a bomb blast in NYC, every wireless carrier will be falling over themselves to volunteer user data. No court order required.
— Christopher Soghoian (@csoghoian) September 19, 2016
A phone carrier technique called a tower dump, for instance, offers law enforcement all the records on which phones connected to a particular cell tower during a particular period of time. A tower dump from a certain cell tower in Chelsea on Saturday night would have shown all the phones connecting to the tower, including one that received a phone call and then suddenly disappeared, no longer periodically reporting its location back to the tower. The carrier’s records could then lead cops to the phone that called that number and any other numbers connected to it, potentially unraveling an entire terrorist cell or pointing to other detonation calls made from that phone. (New York mayor Bill DeBlasio said in a press conference Monday that no evidence suggests Rahami had any accomplices, and the NYPD declined to comment on its ongoing investigation.)
Continued at WIRED-->
French Police Detain Eight Men Linked to Attack in NiceWall Street Journal-6 hours ago
PARIS—French police have detained eight more suspects in connection with the terror attack in Nice, prosecutors said Tuesday, ...
Nice truck attack: French police arrest eight more suspects
ACCORDING TO THE AP: The U.S. government has mistakenly granted citizenship to at least 858 immigrants from countries of concern to national security or with high rates of immigration fraud who had pending deportation orders, according to an internal Homeland Security audit released Monday.
The Homeland Security Department’s inspector general found that the immigrants used different names or birthdates to apply for citizenship with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and such discrepancies weren’t caught because their fingerprints were missing from government databases.
The report does not identify any of the immigrants by name, but Inspector General John Roth’s auditors said they were all from “special interest countries” — those that present a national security concern for the United States — or neighboring countries with high rates of immigration fraud. The report did not identify those countries.
In an emailed statement, the Department of Homeland Security said the findings reflect what has long been a problem for immigration officials — old paper-based records containing fingerprint information that can’t be searched electronically. DHS says immigration officials are in the process of uploading these files and that officials will review “every file” identified as a case of possible fraud.
Roth’s report said fingerprints are missing from federal databases for as many as 315,000 immigrants with final deportation orders or who are fugitive criminals. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has not reviewed about 148,000 of those immigrants’ files to add fingerprints to the digital record.
The gap was created because older, paper records were never added to fingerprint databases created by both the now-defunct Immigration and Naturalization Service and the FBI in the 1990s. ICE, the DHS agency responsible for finding and deporting immigrants living in the country illegally, didn’t consistently add digital fingerprint records of immigrants whom agents encountered until 2010.
The government has known about the information gap and its impact on naturalization decisions since at least 2008 when a Customs and Border Protection official identified 206 immigrants who used a different name or other biographical information to gain citizenship or other immigration benefits, though few cases have been investigated.
Roth’s report said federal prosecutors have accepted two criminal cases that led to the immigrants being stripped of their citizenship. But prosecutors declined another 26 cases. ICE is investigating 32 other cases after closing 90 investigations.
ICE officials told auditors that the agency hadn’t pursued many of these cases in the past because federal prosecutors “generally did not accept immigration benefits fraud cases.” ICE said the Justice Department has now agreed to focus on cases involving people who have acquired security clearances, jobs of public trust or other security credentials.
Mistakenly awarding citizenship to someone ordered deported can have serious consequences because U.S. citizens can typically apply for and receive security clearances or take security-sensitive jobs.
At least three of the immigrants-turned-citizens were able to acquire aviation or transportation worker credentials, granting them access to secure areas in airports or maritime facilities and vessels. Their credentials were revoked after they were identified as having been granted citizenship improperly, Roth said in his report.
A fourth person is now a law enforcement officer.
Roth recommended that all of the outstanding cases be reviewed and fingerprints in those cases be added to the government’s database and that immigration enforcement officials create a system to evaluate each of the cases of immigrants who were improperly granted citizenship. DHS officials agreed with the recommendations and said the agency is working to implement the changes.
Peace & Love for your fellow man, the only philosophy that should be practiced. You cannot coexist with people who want to kill you.